Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Refrigerator Magnets

I believe, if you can separate the gold from the dross, our refrigerator magnets say something about us. I came across a ziplock bag full of magnets when I was unpacking the things from our old house and one of the things they say about me is that I don't easily part with things. I believe some of these -OK, I KNOW- some of these date from my grad school days! And that would be in the umpph days. Sorry, frog in my throat. Of course you have to weed out the magnets that belong to the kids to get the true picture- the dog mouthed lower case abc letters are not mine, nor are the Cinderella dress up magnet or the Cars movie magnets. No, mine say things like "A CLEAN HOUSE IS A SIGN OF A WASTED LIFE" or "Oh, oh, a full moon and worse yet a giant Mr Potato Head!" Yeah that last one is from grad school. Others from that era include retro cartoon women saying things like "If they can put one man on the moon, why not all of them?" and "Oh no, I can't believe I forgot to have kids!"

Then I have the big square Chinese characters for happiness and strength, the Marvin the Martian saying "Oh, you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!" and in the same vein a rectangular black magnet with white letters that says "DON'T MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE - GOD". All of those post date having kids as does the one that says "BE NICE OR LEAVE, THANK YOU." Funny how I went from whimsical to worried about manners.

What's on your refrigerator?

No comments:

Post a Comment